I write novels of adventure and romance, set in the Southwestern United States, that touch on local culture, including food. The Southwest Treasure Hunters novels include The Mad Monk’s Treasure, The Dead Man’s Treasure, and The Skeleton Canyon Treasure. Each novel stands alone in this series mixing action and adventure with light romance.
For The Dead Man’s Treasure, I put together a recipe booklet of foods mentioned in the book, including this wonderful stew. It’s great for groups, because everyone gets to adapt their own bowl to their own taste.
I called this “Camie’s Green Chile Stew” because Camie appears in all three books in the treasure hunting series, and she is the heroine of her third book. The recipe is from a friend who partially inspired her character.
Camie’s Green Chile Stew
2 medium onions
1 Tbsp. garlic
2 Tbsp. oil
1 pound ground beef or cubed stew beef
Chopped green chile to taste, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup (you might find be able to find canned green chile in the Mexican section of your grocery store)
4 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
Serve with any or all of:
canned pinto beans or black beans
cubed, cooked potatoes
shredded cheddar or Jack cheese
shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cilantro
extra green chile
chopped avocados or guacamole
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until golden.
- Add beef and stir until browned.
- Add chopped green chile and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use it immediately, but it’s even better if it blends for a few hours on very low heat.
- Put the beans, hominy, cheese, etc. into individual bowls. Let people build their own blend of stew. Add ingredients such as beans, potatoes, and cheese, and heat each bowl in the microwave. Top with cold ingredients such as sour cream and avocado.
Kris Bock writes novels of suspense and romance involving outdoor adventures and Southwestern landscapes. In Counterfeits, stolen Rembrandt paintings bring danger to a small New Mexico town. Whispers in the Dark features archaeology and intrigue among ancient Southwest ruins. What We Found is a mystery with strong romantic elements about a young woman who finds a murder victim in the woods. The Mad Monk’s Treasure follows the hunt for a long-lost treasure in the New Mexico desert. In The Dead Man’s Treasure, estranged relatives compete to reach a buried treasure by following a series of complex clues. Read excerpts at www.krisbock.com or visit her Amazon page. Sign up for Kris Bock newsletter for announcements of new books, sales, and more.